Demi-leigh was one of my top favorites for the crown even before the pageant festivities. She has an undeniable star quality compared to the other candidates. She looks very gracious and moves like an A-list celebrity with one of the prettiest faces in the pageant. Now let’s take a look at these interesting facts you probably don’t know about Miss Univese 2017.
1. Demi is only 21 years old and she is doing her final year in BCom business management and entrepreneurship.
2. She is form Sedgefield in Western Cape.
3. She is a part time model at Boss Models and Vision Management.
4. She was the first girl in her high school to be chosen as head girl of both the school and its hostel.
5. Demi was also elected as the Deputy Junior Mayor of George City Council in grade 11.
6. She previously won Miss Varsity Cup 2015 and was a Top 5 finalist in Miss teen SA 2010.
7. Her Miss SA princesses were: Adè van Heerden from the Western Cape (1st Princess) and Boipelo Mabe from Gauteng.
8. Her biggest motivator in life is her half-sister Franje who is disabled after being born without a cerebellum.
9. Demi is also good at making cards and scrapbooks.
10. Demi says she has always live her life in such a way to become the gracious, independent and diligent woman that she is today.
11. She admires women like Marissa Mayer, the first female engineer and then CEO of Yahoo.
12. She considers herself “extremely blessed to have four amazing parents” who are her biggest supporters and have always believed in her. Her mom (“my absolute rock”) and step-dad live in Sedgefield. Her father recently made his dream come true by opening a guest house in Potchefstroom.
13. She loves the outdoor activities like hiking, running, and taking her two yorkies Benji and Baxter for walks.
14. Her music preferences range from Taylor Swift and Adele to Beethoven.
15. She loves tucking in to “oxtail in a red wine reduction served with samp”.
16. Demi’s favorite quote is “The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no-one else has ever been before.” by Albert Einstein.
17. She looks up to former Miss South Africa, Cindy Nell. She portrayed her as one person who used the platform to the best of her ability.
18. Suits is her favorite TV show.
19. According to Demi, she has always live her life in such a way to become the gracious, independent and diligent woman she is today.
20. According to her, she is very determined to make a difference during her reign.
South Africa last won Miss Universe in 1978. Demi succeeded France’s Iris Mittenaere, who was crowned in Manila last January. Along with her on the top 3 were Colombia’s Laura Gonzalez who was placed first runner-up, and Jamaica’s Davina Bennett who was second runner-up.