Paolo Duterte, Manases Carpio to attend BOC hearing on September 7

0
30
Paolo-Duterte
Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte. Photo by City Information Office

Davao City Mayor Paolo Duterte and his brother-in-law Manases Carpio is set to face the Senate panel on September 07, to explain their alleged participation in the entry of illegal drugs in the country.

On Thursday, both have received the invitation to attend the Senate blue ribbon committee hearing. On the other hand, the younger Duterte and Carpio, husband of Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte, said they recognized the “coercive powers of the Senate of the Philippines” and its “authority to conduct an inquiry in aid of legislation.”

Senator Antonio Trillanes IV also welcomed the decision of the two.

“That’s good. Paghandaan nila mga itatanong ko (They should get ready for my questioning,” Trillanes said.

The two men will face the Senate investigation into the P 6.4-billion worth of shabu allegedly smuggled into the Philippines from China.

Recently, customs fixer Mark Taguba had linked the vice mayor to a Davao group allegedly involved in smuggling at BOC.

However, there has been no evidence so far that would link Paolo Duterte and Carpio to the drug shipment last May.

President Duterte vowed that he would resign if he is presented evidence proving any of his children was involved in corruption.