According to the statement of assets, liabilities and net worth (SALN) of our senators, some of them ranked as the richest senators of the Philippines.
Here are the top 15 wealthiest senators in the country.
1. Sen. Cynthia Villar is still the richest senator. She earned her degree in Business Administration at the University of the Philippines and completed her master’s degree in Business Administration at New York University, USA. She is the wife of Former House Speaker and Senate President Manny Villar. First elected to Congress in 2001 and served three consecutive terms. She helped her husband in entrepreneurial ventures. She declared her net worth of P3.6 billion in her 2016 SALN. Villar accounted her billions from the company that included real state from Vista Land &Lifescape Inc. Her double net worth was due to her husband Manny Villar, they file a joint declaration of assets, Senator Villar said. Villar’s family owns companies whose main business is real estate development.
2. Sen. Emmanuel“Manny” Pacquiao is a world-renowned boxer. He is the first and only eight-division boxing champion in the world and won 10 world titles and he was the first boxer who won lineal championships in four separate categories. Voted as “Person of the Year” in 2003. He was married to Maria Geraldine “Jinkee” Pacquiao. Manny Pacquiao joins Senator Cynthia Villar as the richest senator in the Philippines with a net worth of P3.072 billion. His assets include real properties in General Santos City and Sarangani Province, mostly residential, commercial, and agricultural properties. The most expensive property of Sen. Pacquiao is in General Santos City worth P400 million in 2015. Pacquiao includes his residential home in Los Angeles, USA worth P115 million and a commercial property in General Santos City worth P121 million. He also states some of his personal assets like cars and jewelry, investments, and transportation equipment amounting P1.3 billion.
3. Sen. Ralph Recto is a remarkable public servant. He is married to Batangas Governor Vilma Santos-Recto, a father to Ryan Christian and stepfather to Luis Philippe Manzano. Senator Recto completed the coursework and a candidate for both master’s degree in Public Administration from the University of the Philippines and in Strategic Business Economics from the University of Asia and the Pacific. He also obtained Leadership Course at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States of America. He attained a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management at the De La Salle University-Manila. In 2010 he was conferred a degree of Doctor of Humanities, honoriscausa by the Lipa City Public College, and by the Nueva Ecija University of Science and Technology in 2009. He declared his net worth of P511.33 million. Senator Recto’s assets come from his personal properties, from cash in the bank and financial institution worth P295.9 million and investment in stock worth P143.1 million. Also, he listed real properties in Lipa City and Metro Manila worth P73.8 million. His SALN was a joint declaration with his wife Rep. Vilma Santos.
4. Sen. Juan Edgardo Angara was recognized as one of the most productive congressmen during his time as a member of the House of Representative. He finished his undergraduate degree in International Relations with honors in London School of Economics and his law degree from the University of the Philippines College of Law and earned his Master of Laws degree from the Harvard Law School. He declared his net worth of P123.9 million. Some of his assets are properties worth P75.2 million; vehicles, investments, cash, jewelry, furniture, art and other worth P62.74 million. Angara’s 2016 net worth is P5 million higher than last years.
5. Sen. Juan Miguel Zubiri a veteran lawmaker. Served the 3rd District of Bukidnon for nine years. Cited as one of the most outstanding statesmen. He obtained his Bachelor’s degree in Agri-Business Management from the University of the Philippines and earned a Master of Environment and Natural Resources Management degree from the University of the Philippines Open University. Married to lovely Audrey Zubiri. He is the fifth richest senator with a net worth of P121.7 million. His assets come from his personal properties worth P94.8 million and his shares in Bukidnon Power Corp worth P54.4 million. He owns agricultural properties in Bukidnon and Batangas.
6. Sen. Sherwin Gatchalian is a former mayor and congressman of Valenzuela City. He is the chairman of the Senate Committees on Energy, and Economics Affairs. Win Gatchalian graduated with a degree in Finance and Operation Management at Boston University in Massachusetts in 1995. In 1997 to 2001 he was the Executive Vice President of the Wellex Group, one of the leading investment firms in the Philippines. He served as the Vice Chairman and Director of Air Philippine, the second largest airline in the country at the same time from 1998 to 1999. He was also the Vice Chairman of the Waterfront Philippines, Inc. senator Gatchalian declared his net worth of P92.14 million. The largest item he declared in his assets come from various shares of stock, P44.15 million, the SALN indicate.
7. Sen. Mary Grace Poe-Llamanzares is the daughter of National Artist Fernando Poe Jr. and the veteran actress Susan Roces. She is married to Teodoro Misael Vera Llamanarez. She is the former chairperson of the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB). Finished her high school in Assumption College in Makati. She studied Bachelor of Arts in Development Studies at the University of the Philippines and Bachelor of Arts degree major in Political Science at the Boston College in Massachusetts. She declared her net worth of P88.4 million enrolled in her SALN for 2016. Sen. Poe owned 30 properties, a commercial, agricultural and typically residential real properties, purchased from 1992-2010; included in her properties a two house and lot in California, USA. Additional real properties were inherited that passed on to her the year her father passed away.
8. Sen. Franklin Drilon has been serving the Filipinos since 1986. He finished his studies at the University of the Philippines in Diliman with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and the enrolled at the University of the Philippines College of Law. He placed 3rd in the Bar Examination. After passing the bar, he joined the Sycip, Salazar, Manalo, and Feliciano Law Offices immediately. He was the Senior Associate and elected as Managing Partner in Angara, Abello, Concepcion, Regala, and Cruz Law office in one of the leading law firm in the country in 1986. Senator Drilon is married to Mila Serrano Genuino. A father of two, Eliza and Patrick, with his first wife, the late Atty. VioletaCalvoDrilon. He declared his net worth P82.4 million. The largest item he declared in his assets come from cash on hand and in banks, P54.42 million, the SALN indicate.
9. Sen. Joseph Victor Ejercito is the son of former President and now Manila City Mayor Joseph Ejercito Estrada and San Juan City Mayor Guia Gomez. Earned his college degree of AB Political Science at De La Salle University. He served as Mayor of San Juan for three consecutive terms, from 2001 to 2010. He was elected Senator during the 2013 national election. He declared his net worth P79.13 million. The largest item he declared in his assets come from real estate properties, P89.55 million, the SALN indicate.
10. Sen. Richard Gordon dedicated his whole adult life in serving the country. Gordon is the current chairman of Philippine National Red Cross. He was elected as a mayor of Olongapo City in 1980’s. He placed the Philippines on the world tourism map when he was appointed as Tourism Secretary under the administration of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. He obtained his bachelor’s degree in History & Government at the Ateneo de Manila University and holds a bachelors degree in Law at the University of the Philippines. He is married to Katherine Howell Gordon. He declared is net worth P66.93 million. The largest item he declared in his assets come from real estate properties, P47.14 million, the SALN specify.
11. Sen. Vicente Sotto III has been in public service for the past 24 years, starting 1988 when he entered politics as Vice Mayor of Quezon City. He was the first president of the Vice-Mayors League of the Philippines which he founded and was eventually voted as President Emeritus of the League. Sotto took Bachelor of Arts major in English at the Colegio de San Juan de Letran in Manila and embarked on an Executive Program for Leaders in Development at the Harvard University John F. Kennedy School of Government. A good husband to multi-awarded actress and singer Helen Gamboa and a loving father to Romina Frances, Diorella Maria, Gian Carlo and Ciara Anna. He declared his net worth P63.8 million. The largest item he declared in his assets come from real estate properties, P104.46 million, the SALN show.
12. Sen. Maria Lourdes Nancy Binay the daughter of former Vice President and Makati Mayor JojoBinay and medical doctor ElenitaSumbilaoBinay. Nancy Binay finished her Bachelor’s degree in Tourism at the University of the Philippines in 1997. She is the chairperson of the Senate Committees on Tourism, Cultural Communities, and Social Justice Welfare and Rural Development in the ongoing 17th Congress. She is one of the vice-chairperson of the Energy Committee and a member of the Senate Electoral Tribunal. She is married to Jose Benjamin Angeles and has four children. She declared her net worth P60.48 million. Her SALN indicate the largest item she declared in her assets comes from real estate properties, P41.71 million.
13. Sen. Loren Legarda is a broadcast journalist, TV host, politician, environmentalist, philanthropist and she was considered as one of the most productive senators of the Philippines. Legarda is remarkable as the only female to top two senatorial race in 1998 and 2007. She was born to a family of newsman, educators, physicians and public servant. She is the eldest and only girl in the family. Loren graduated cum laude in the University of the Philippines where she obtained a degree in broadcast communication. She declared her net worth P40.91 million. The largest item she indicates in her assets come from real estate properties, P28.7 million.
14. Sen. PanfiloLacson a public servant for 40 years. Lacson also served Philippine National Police from 1999 to 2001, he was a former Director-General. He served also as Presidential Assistant for Rehabilitation and Recovery to help the victims of Super Typhoon Yolanda. He is known for being a legislator who never used is Pork barrel Fund for twelve years during his two terms as a senator. He took Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy at the Lyceum of the Philippines University before entering Philippine Military Academy. He finished his master’s degree in Government Management at the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila. According to his 2016 year-end SALN, he declared his net worth P38.7 million. The largest item he states is cash on hand and cash in the bank, P16.88 million.
15. Sen. Paolo Benigno Aquino IV is a former social entrepreneur. Before Aquino enters politics, he became the President of MicroVentures, Inc., a social enterprise company that provides micro-financing, training and access to new business opportunities for women micro-entreprenuers He was addressed as one of the most hardworking and productive senators. He came from the prominent clan of Aquino. He is the son of Paul Aquino, a son of Benigno Aquino Sr. the youngest brother of Ninoy Aquino. Bam graduated Summa Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Science degree in Management Engineering from the Ateneo de Manila University, and Executive Law Program of Law at the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University. He is married to Mary Fatima Gomez Aquino. He declared his 2016 year-end SALN with a net worth P33.8 million. The largest item he enrolled in his assets come from his bank deposits, cash on hand, money placements and investments, P20.66 million.