President Rodrigo Duterte’s first born child has been facing a lot of allegations lately. Paolo had earlier been linked to shipment of illegal drug and violence. A retired police officer and self-confessed hitman of the alleged Davao Death Squad linked Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte in protecting a suspected man involved in drugs.Kenneth Dong, the alleged middleman in the P6.4-billion smuggled shabu from China denied his close tieswith Paolo Duterte and says he met him in 2008 but they are not close.
September 15, 2016, Thursday when Edgar Matobato, a so-called Davao Death Squad claimed that Vice Mayor Duterte ordered the killing of Cebuano businessman Richard King in 2014. Responding to the allegation of Edgar Matobato, Davao City Vice Mayor Paolo Duterte says “I will not dignify with an answer the accusations of a madman.”
August 7, 2017 when Davao City Vice Mayor had been controversially involved in the corruption in the Bureau of Customs (BOC). However in a statement, the vice mayor said he does not want to dignify lies by explaining his side.
If all the accusations were certainly true, how did an ordinary person became a powerful man he is right now?
Paolo “Pulong” Zimmerman Duterte, the incumbent Vice Mayor of Davao City and the eldest son of former Mayor of Davao City and now Philippine President, Rodrigo Duterte.
-24 March 1975 (age 42), Davao
-Omar Vincent Duterte
-Rodrigo Duterte II
-Paolo Duterte II
-Veronica A. Duterte
-Sebastian Z. Duterte
- Philippine Women’s College of Davao (1981-1987)
- Philippine Women’s College of Davao (1987-1991)
- University of Mindanao;
- Degree Course: BS Commerce – Banking & Finance (2002)
Graduate Studies: University of Southeastern Philippines;
- Degree Course: Master of Public Administration (2009)
Graduate Studies: Lyceum Northwestern University
- Degree Course: Doctor in Public Administration (2015)
- In 2007, Paolo Duterte being the eldest of Rodrigo Duterte’s 3 children followed the footsteps of his father by entering politics.
- In 2008, he became the chairman of the city’s Association of Barangay Captains (ABC) and seated in the city council as ABC sectoral representative.
- From 2011-2013, he served as the national vice president for Mindanao of the Liga ng mga Barangay.
- In 2013 he was then elected as the Davao City Vice Mayor. His sister Sara Duterte who was the Mayor for 3 years and was then replaced by his Father Rodrigo Duterte who eventually was elected as theMayor of Davao City.
- Rodrigo Duterte won the presidency in the election 2016 while Paolo was reelected as Vice Mayor and now the second-in-command to Sara over Davao City.
- Apart from politics, Paolo Duterte is also associated with the Davao Jaycees,Disaster Assistance Rescue Team, the Free and Accepted Masons Davao Lodge No. 149 and the Guardians Brotherhood.
The Allegations linking Vice Mayor Duterte with drugs and violence arise whentwo self-confessed members of the Davao Death Squad surfaced in 2016 and 2017.
The so called DDS hitman, Edgar Matobato said that Paolo ordered the killings of several people including Cebuano businessman Richard King in 2014 because of a conflict over a woman.
Matobato filed criminal and administrative complaints in December 2016 against Paolo, his father Rodrigo, and 26 other people over alleged summary executions in Davao City.
Matobato has also accused Paolo being involved in an illegal smuggling and being a “protector” of Chinese drug lords in Davao.
However in the illegal drug trade, Paolo Duterte has consistently denied his involvement to the said issue.